Welcome to The Squeaky Pen

...where life is slow, and ripe with rural treasures

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Magic of Ordinary Days

I took a drive through some countryside this morning, having to run a few errands in a town 40 miles away. Weather-wise, the morning was glorious: sunny, 66 degrees, spring perfection. I was in a contemplative mood I guess, taking in my surroundings with great interest. I drove along with the radio on, in blissful solitude but for Harry curled and sighing in the passenger seat. 

I've never been much of a Hallmark Movie Channel fan. The films shown are a bit too sappy for me: Notes From The Heart Healer, Kiss At Pine Lake, Taste of Romance, etc. Lovey-dovey stuff that isn't my cup of tea. There was one movie on this week, though, that caught my attention. I didn't watch it, but I was drawn to the title: The Magic of Ordinary Days. That's what today felt like. Fields with miles of yellow flowers that were not (I think) dandelions; tractors pulling plows through chocolate soil; horses lazing in meadows; windmills turning. Trees are finally budding out after a strange hot-cold-wet-cool April and, today, tulips were blooming in front yards. In one spot along the way I saw a twinkling lake, reminding me of a long-ago friend who referred to such scenes as "sparkly water days," like some god had flung a million diamonds on the surface. The sky was blue, the clouds were puffy, and I was happy for no good reason, just driving along with my little dog, senses wide open, glad to be breathing.

An ordinary day filled with magic. I'm not sure I can ask for much more than that. I'm not sure any of us can.

2 comments:

dkay55 said...

Like it. The way I feel driving through Chenango county on a beautiful summer day.

Kathleen Yasas said...

That's just what I was doing. A strange phenomenon: with age comes appreciation for crops. I used to listen to my parents carry on about fields and think why in the world do they care what the corn looks like? Now...I can't get enough.


About Me

Newspaper columnist; blogger; author of Delta Dead; author of 101 Tip$ From My Depression-Era Parents; author of Australian Fly; editor: ...And I Breathed (author, Jason Garner, former CEO of Global Music at Live Nation), "A History of the Lawrence S. Donaldson Residence"; "The Port Washington Yacht Club: A Centennial Perspective"; "The Northeastern Society of Periodontists: The First Fifty Years"; editor: NESP Bulletin; editor: PWYC Mainsail; past editorial director: The International Journal of Fertility & Women's Medicine; past editor of: Long Island Power & Sail, Respiratory Review; Medical Travelers' Advisory; School Nurse News; Clear Images; Periodontal Clinical Investigations; Community Nurse Forum