Welcome to The Squeaky Pen

...where life is slow, and ripe with rural treasures

Friday, December 5, 2014

Small Town Angel

In my last post I was griping about the UPS person (among other things) and how he or she completely ignored my note about putting packages on the side porch.
 
The Universe is such a mysterious and wonderful place.
 
It's Christmastime and I've been busy ordering gifts. Every other day or so a present seems to arrive. Sometimes I see the UPS truck slow down in front of my house, sometimes I don't. On Thursday I did, so like a kid in footies and snowman-covered pajamas, I dashed through the rooms to see what new item was being delivered. I opened the door as the UPS man was coming up the steps and he introduced himself as the son of someone I know. "Hey!" I said, we exchanged pleasantries, and then Harry came tearing down the hall in typical Harry fashion, barking his head off. I joked about my furry doorbell, we waved goodbye, I took my package, and that was that; or so I thought.
 
Today another package arrived and this time I didn't see the truck. I checked the porch this afternoon and did indeed find a box, some delivery from Amazon. On top of the box was a dog bone. For Harry.
 
There are times I regret leaving New York City to journey into another life upstate, to a little town where everybody seems to know your business and where I have to travel 40 miles to find a sushi restaurant. Today was not one of those days.
 
Santa came early this year, not in a sleigh but driving a big brown truck, reminding me (as the Grinch discovered) that Christmas doesn't come from a store. It comes from the heart.
 
Thanks Mr. UPS angel. You made my week (not to mention Harry's).



 

No comments:


About Me

Newspaper columnist; blogger; author of Delta Dead; author of 101 Tip$ From My Depression-Era Parents; author of Australian Fly; editor: ...And I Breathed (author, Jason Garner, former CEO of Global Music at Live Nation), "A History of the Lawrence S. Donaldson Residence"; "The Port Washington Yacht Club: A Centennial Perspective"; "The Northeastern Society of Periodontists: The First Fifty Years"; editor: NESP Bulletin; editor: PWYC Mainsail; past editorial director: The International Journal of Fertility & Women's Medicine; past editor of: Long Island Power & Sail, Respiratory Review; Medical Travelers' Advisory; School Nurse News; Clear Images; Periodontal Clinical Investigations; Community Nurse Forum